History


History of Area and Willey West Campground:

1940’s - The area was a ferry landing on the south shore of the North Saskatchewan at the end of Buck Creek Road.
1950’s - William Roos of Breton and Bruce Cropley of Lindale worked with the Breton recreation board on an idea of building the park
1960’s - Theo Westling becomes chairman of the Leduc recreation board
1978 - Theo Westling received an “Energize 78 Volunteer Award”
1983 - Theo Westling joins William Roos and Bruce Cropley to begin the process of getting funding for the park
1984 - The County of Leduc and Alberta Provincial Recreation Board announce funding

The name Willey West is selected after a contest to name the park. It was named after:
William Roos Bruce Cropley Theo Westling

1985 to 1987 - Leduc County wrestles with the cost of the access road into the park
1988 - Municipal District of Brazeau, Improvement District 222 assumes control over road access and Alberta Transportation moves in to complete the road.
- Access to park was closed during construction
1989 - The park reopens for the May long weekend with 24 hour operators on site
1990 - Willey West officially opens with William Roos and former MLA and project supporter, Shirley Cripps cutting the ceremonial ribbon and opening the park